Indian Head Massage
If you are looking for Indian Head Massage in Limerick, our holistic therapist at Mid West Physiotherapy Sinéad Cleary, specialises in this treatment method. It is a wonderfully relaxing treatment with many physical, emotional and wellbeing benefits.
What is Indian Head Massage?
Indian Head Massage is a form of ancient Ayurvedic healing which originated in India thousands of years ago. The treatment involves massage of the upper back & shoulders, the scalp, the head, the neck and the face. It focuses on relieving stress in the head, neck, shoulders and upper back and is a very popular choice of complementary therapy for those suffering from shoulder pain, headaches, poor concentration, eye strain or a stiff neck.
What happens during an Indian Head Massage treatment?
The client can opt to sit on a chair or lie on a bed for the duration of the session. The therapist will discuss this with you and will help you to decide the position that would best suit you. Relaxing music will be played an the therapist will use a massage oil of your choice. The therapist will use a range of movements and techniques over the neck, shoulders, back and scalp to enable you to feel instantly relaxed. The session will finish with gentle stimulation of the pressure points on the face. The therapist will allow you to relax for a little while and will also give you home care advice after the treatment.
What are the benefits of Indian Head Massage?
There are many benefits of Indian Head Massage which include:
- Reduction of stress & anxiety by relaxing the body & mind
- Restoring energy to the body
- Promoting a positive postural awareness
- Increase in blood circulation therefore improving cell regeneration and oxygen supply
- Encourages the removal of toxins and waste products
- Eases tension headaches
- Reduces pain by stimulating the release of the body’s “feel good” endorphins which elevate the mood
- Detoxifies the body by stimulating lymphatic drainage
- Can help relieve the symptoms of anxiety and depression by increasing the oxygen supply to the brain, which is known to help improve mood
Are there any side effects of this treatment?
Following a treatment the client may experience the following:
- Aching muscles
- Feeling cold
- Increased urination
These symptoms are very normal and any side effects are different for everyone. Any reactions should be seen as a positive indication that the body is responding to the treatment and is clearing out toxins that may have been built up over time. Side effects usually don’t last any longer than a few hours.
When should Indian Head Massage be avoided?
Indian Head Massage should be avoided in the following situations:
- Cancers affecting shoulders, head, neck or face
- Those with cardiac conditions
- Recent surgery in the area of treatment
- Undiagnosed head, shoulder, neck or facial pain
- Those with a diagnosis of epilepsy
- Those with high/low blood pressure without medical consent
- Those with an infectious disease
- Those with a history of thrombosis or embolism
It is always advisable to consult with your GP prior to arranging a treatment if you have any underlying medical condition.
If you are looking for Indian Head Massage in Limerick, we would be delighted to help you. Treatments are 60 minutes in duration and cost €60 per session. Treatments are delivered in-clinic by Sinéad Cleary. Video consultations are not available for this service. If you would like to book a reflexology treatment at Mid West Physiotherapy Limerick, you can book on-line, or alternatively you can ring our reception on 061-201444 or contact us by email.