At Mid West Physiotherapy, Limerick, we offer a specialised private cardiac rehabilitation programme to patients who have experienced cardiac surgery, heart disease or a cardiac event, or who need to reduce their risk factors. This programme is delivered by Leonora Kennedy who is a trained expert in physiotherapy for cardiac rehabilitation.
Goals of cardiac rehabilitation
- Facilitate recovery from a cardiac event or surgery
- Increase functional capacity
- Reduce risk factors
- Improve knowledge of condition
- Improve quality of life
- Encourage positive lifestyle change
- Reduce stress and anxiety
- Improve confidence and well-being
- Facilitate return to work and leisure activities
- Encourage self-management of heart health
What is involved?
Phase 3 of cardiac rehabilitation focuses on improving the patient’s cardiac health through the introduction of carefully tailored, guided and monitored exercise. The workload is gradually increased as the patient becomes fitter and stronger, with the goal of transitioning to phase 4 (long-term maintenance of individual goals). The initial assessment involves:
- Risk assessment questionnaire (PAR-Q) and risk stratification.
- Fitness test – Chester step test (or Astrand-Rhyming Cycle Ergometer Test if not suitable for Chester Step test).
- Subjective assessment.
The physiotherapist will then give the patient a 6-week programme of aerobic and resistance training to be conducted twice weekly in our rehabilitation gym. All in-clinic exercise is supervised by the physiotherapist and monitored via blood pressure monitor, RPE scale and constant heart rate monitoring.
Who is suitable?
- Post cardiac event, surgery or procedure
- Heart failure
- At risk of heart disease
Who is not suitable?
- No referral letter from cardiologist or GP stating patient is allowed to undertake cardiac rehabilitation.
- If the patient meets the absolute contraindications or relative contraindication to symptom limited exercise testing (Fletcher GA et al, Circulation, 2013).
- < 6 weeks post MI.
€100.00 for a 60 minute session.
Booking and enquiries
If you’re looking for cardiac rehabilitation in Limerick, we would be delighted to help you. For enquiries and bookings, please contact our Clinic Reception on 061-201444 or email email@example.com. You can also contact us via this website. On-line booking is not available for this service as a doctor’s referral is required.
***IMPORTANT: We can only take referrals for cardiac rehabilitation from cardiologists or GPs only, and the referral letter must state that the patient is suitable for cardiac rehabilitation.***
The UK Chartered Society of Physiotherapists have an excellent fact-sheet on cardiovascular disease on their website, including; evidence, tips and how physiotherapy can help the condition.